February 4, 2021 UPDATE -
Cedarcrest High School Athletics Set to Start on February 22, 2021
Dear Riverview Community,
The Riverview School District has received confirmation that Cedarcrest High School athletics, and specifically Fall Sports, are set to start on February 22, 2021.
Tolt Middle School athletics remain delayed at this time, with no start date determined.
CHS student-athletes are able to return to the Cedarcrest campus to participate in Sport Pod Conditioning. The basic framework is to give student-athletes the opportunity to work with their teammates and coaches in sport-specific conditioning work. It is important to note that these are not official practices and that this is optional for student-athletes and high school coaches to participate.
The initial window of Sports Conditioning will begin on Tuesday, February 9, 2021. There is no cost to students.
In order to participate, students and parents must:
- Complete all Final Forms paperwork;
- Complete registration via Final Forms for Sports Conditioning (still have to register for sports conditioning even if registered for another sport);
- Indicate your preferred sport preference(s); and,
- Have a current physical on file.
In order to participate the first week, students must be registered by 1:00 p.m. on Sunday, February 7, 2021. If you are not registered by this time, you will not be able to participate the first week.
Based on their sport preference, students will be assigned to a pod as determined by the Athletic Director and coaches. Students will be notified of pod and session assignment on Sunday evening, February 7.
The structure for our Sports Conditioning will be as follows:
- Student-athletes who register will be assigned to a pod up to 5 athletes. This is the pod they will work with through the end of the Sports Conditioning window.
- Each student will be limited to attending two days a week and will remain in the same sport pod and time slot assigned.
- Session times will vary between 3:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. throughout the week Monday through Friday.
- If a student misses a workout, they cannot make it up with a pod that is not their own.
- Though different pods may be working on similar skills and drills simultaneously under the direction of a coach, pods will not be intermixing.
All activity will be done outdoors on the Cedarcrest campus. We do realize that this time of year brings inclement weather, but we are not permitted to hold Sports Conditioning indoors at this time. Students should dress appropriately for the weather and workout and be aware that locker rooms will not be available.
This is a great opportunity to provide our students with the social connections and physical activity that we know to be so important to student health and wellness. However, we must be certain to do it in a manner that is as safe as possible. Once assigned to a pod, information will be shared with students and their families on protocols and expectations that we will have in place to keep the students and coaches as safe as possible. Any failure to adhere to the guidelines could jeopardize our ability to offer these trainings and future athletic opportunities.
Athletic Director/Assistant Principal
Cedarcrest High School
WESCO Conference Tentatively Approves Plan
to Begin High School Athletics
On February 1, 2021, Western Conference Athletic Directors tentatively approved its plan to begin the WESCO High School athletic seasons starting with traditional fall sports on February 22, 2021.
WESCO AD’s drafted a plan at its December 16, 2020 meeting. In order for the plan to go live, a number of items needed to be in place.
- The Puget sound region (Snohomish, King and Pierce Counties) must be in Phase 2 of Governor Inslee's Healthy Washington - Roadmap to Recovery plan.
- The WIAA must approve the modified plan if different than the WIAA’s February 1 start date plan.
- Local school district Superintendents must grant authorization for its individual Districts to participate.
Even though all of the required steps have been met, AD’s have delayed its final vote until Wednesday, February 3, 2021. This allows AD’s to have one more conversation with local school district Superintendents to make sure all of the relative information is available and has been provided. If approved Wednesday, WESCO will commence with three seasons, starting with traditional fall sports on February 22, 2021. Spring sports will run second starting March 29, followed by Winter sports on May 3.
In creating the plan, the goal has always been about providing opportunity for student-athletes to get back on the field and compete. Because of that, WESCO schools will not be participating in any culminating events. What we have heard from our student-athletes is they just want a chance to play. The schedules will be built to provide competitions for all schools without putting the focus on post-season. Additionally, we have attempted to limit travel, trying to keep the schedules geographically focused as possible, and will make attempts to create competitive match ups regardless of WIAA classification.
WESCO Athletic Directors will be meeting again on Wednesday February 3, 2021, to make the final determination and to discuss schedules, approve the WESCO COVID Safety Plan and discuss details related to logistics.
An update will be provided to the Riverview Community following Wednesday’s vote.